What has been accomplished during the first half of 2017:
What hasn't happened according to plan in 2017:
- Development continues on CodeIgniter 4, slowly but steadily. The number of contributors is slowly growing, and there is lots of interest and testing. Some things wrapped up or enhanced recently: models and entities, validation, view parser, localization and image manipulation. Per the Github issue tracking, the pre-alpha 2 milesone is 72% complete.
- A team of four BCIT students completed a project to get "into" the CodeIgniter4 development, with additional testing and improved code coverage.
- We have published three updates to CodeIgniter 3 - 3.1.3 in January, 3.1.4 in March, and 3.1.5 in June; each of these has contained security patches, bug fixes and enhancements.
- Our forum continues to grow, with over 9000 users now registered (up 1400 from the last progress update). Including the archives, we now have over 66,000 threads. Keeping the forum free of spam and spammers continues.
- Our main repository now has 6,950 forks, and Twitter followers continue to increase.
- Most of our website and forum traffic is being handled using SSL, and we regularly exceed 600K requests each day.
What is in progress for the second half of 2017:
- Our pre-alpha2 release of CodeIgniter 4 has not been completed. Lonnie continues to provide the lion's share of development acvtivity, and the contributor base is only growing slowly.
- Our forum software still has not been updated to phpBB ... no time
What is planned for the second half of 2017:
- Phase 2 of CodeIgniter 4 continues to be actively developed. Recent work has focused on the internationalization, email, and encryption; and on increasing the unit testing code coverage across the board. How can you help? We are looking to expand the supported databases, and to better tackle internationalization/localization.
- We continue to investigate and fix issues with CodeIgniter 3.
- There will some "office hours" coming up over the next week, July 16/17.
- We expect a 3.2.0 release, cleaning up things.
- We hope to freeze the feature set for the CodeIgniter 4 alpha. NO, we do not have a release date (planned, anticipated, guaranteed or otherwise), so please don't ask again! We will announce any release when it is time!
Thank you, the CodeIgniter community, for your support and engagement!